A Precious Breath of Fresh Air


I haven’t seen the movie Precious yet, but I am impatiently waiting to see it. It premiered at the Sundance International Film Festival to rave reviews and early Oscar buzz is predicting possible nods to the lead, newcomer Gabourey (Gabby) Sidibe. Love this girl!!!!! Why can't there be more girls like this in Hollywood?

You’ve heard of Precious, right? Well if you haven’t, then here is the lowdown. Based on the novel Push by Sapphire, Claireece Precious Jones played by Gabby is living a horribly neglected life. She is abused by her mother, raped by her father and unnoticed to everyone else in this world. This is the story of adversity, love, hope, strength and courage. This is the story of life.

The first interview I saw Gabby give was on Conan O’Brien a few weeks ago. I wasn’t expecting much to be honest but I watched it anyway. Within a minute I was literally peeing myself laughing and I’m sure Conan was too. She was recanting the story of when she first met Oprah, who is an executive producer on the film. No joke, her retelling of the story is hilarious. I don’t know why, but her personality was so unexpected. She is so honest and down to earth and being new to the scene she is so naively star struck about everything. I hope she never changes, no matter how famous she gets, and believe me, she will be very famous.

Here’s the amazing thing. Gabrourey wasn’t even an actress before this movie. She reluctantly went to the audition and ended up beating out four hundred other girls for the role. Four Hundred!!! She was born and raised in New York City. She is the second of six children. Her father is a cab driver in NYC and her mother is a teacher by trade but has been singing her whole life. Love this story. Seriously, how much do you love this story?

Check out the trailer here: http://www.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/precious/

I can’t find her Conan interview but here she is on Jay Leno: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5ei9Q7KwVY

"Sometimes I wish I was not alive," Precious says. "But I don't know how to die. Ain' no plug to pull out. 'N no matter how bad I feel my heart don't stop beating and my eyes open in the morning."

Precious is in theaters now. Do yourself a favor and go see it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hallelujah Indeed

One Year No Radio

Unplug