Listen to This


I had great intentions of writing a blog each day however my life had other plans and it seems to be steamrolling over me. Using the word ‘busy’ to describe my current state is a seriously grotesque understatement. Most days I forget what day of the week or which month of the year it is. The only thing I know is that it’s winter; I know this because it’s cold and dark. Frick……Please don’t let me wake up one day and wonder where the last ten years of my life went.

Anyway, in times like this I look to music to keep me going. This song I’m about to introduce you to was the 2010 FIFA World Cup Anthem. I don’t watch football (soccer) however this song made me want to see a game live. I’ve heard the crowds/fans at these are just off the wall and something to experience in your life…actually that’s a good idea, I think I’ll add this to the things I want to accomplish in my life.

The singer goes by K’naan and he’s a hugely talented Somalian/Canadian Dude. His sound is uniquely fantastic with a mix of reggae, hip hop, African type feel. This song in particular makes me want to dance foolishly in a crowd of strangers. It makes me happy. It makes me feel like we can get along with everyone….can’t we?

The song is called Wavin’ Flag and its lyrics are empowering. Have a read, then take a listen.

When I get older, they'll call me freedom
Just like a Waving Flag.

[Chorus]
When I get older, I will be stronger,
They'll call me freedom, just like a Waving Flag,
And then it goes back, and then it goes back,
And then it goes back

Born to a throne, stronger than Rome
but Violent prone, poor people zone,
But it's my home, all I have known,
Where I got grown, streets we would roam.
But out of the darkness, I came the farthest,
Among the hardest survival.
Learn from these streets, it can be bleak,
Except no defeat, surrender retreat,

So we struggling, fighting to eat and
We wondering when we'll be free,
So we patiently wait, for that fateful day,
It's not far away, so for now we say

[Chorus]

So many wars, settling scores,
Bringing us promises, leaving us poor,
I heard them say, love is the way,
Love is the answer, that's what they say,
But look how they treat us, Make us believers,
We fight their battles, then they deceive us,
Try to control us, they couldn't hold us,
Cause we just move forward like Buffalo Soldiers.

But we struggling, fighting to eat,
And we wondering, when we'll be free
So we patiently wait, for that faithful day,
It's not far away, but for now we say,

[Chorus] 2x

(Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhhh Ohhhh)
And everybody will be singing it
(Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhhh Ohhhh)
And you and I will be singing it
(Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhhh Ohhhh)
And we all will be singing it
(Ohhh Ohh Ohh Ohh)

[Chorus] 2x

When I get older, when I get older
I will be stronger, just like a Waving Flag,
Just like a Waving Flag, just like a Waving flag
Flag, flag, Just like a Waving Flag

Genius eh?

Take a listen the World Cup version here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syjqTV4Ubag
This is the version that makes you want to be friends with everyone.

The original is called Wavin’ Flag and has become a sort of anthem of strength and courage for the people of Haiti: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC8V8S_REhk&feature=related
This is the version that makes you want to change the world.

I hope this keeps you going a bit longer today too :)

Until Next Time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hallelujah Indeed

One Year No Radio

Unplug