Unplug


Have you ever tried to kick your caffeine habit? Have you ever tried to leave your cell phone and computer at home when you go on vacation? I am attempting to do both. Recently, under a doctor’s recommendation, I have been advised to kick my caffeine addiction. I never really drank a ton of coffee I just really enjoy my one or two cups in the morning during the week day and my three or four cups on the weekends. The first week was the roughest. Honestly, I wanted to rip out of my own skin and start scaling the walls. I didn’t realize how addicted I was until I was forced to stop. I’ve never been a smoker but I imagine it’s kind of the same feeling. I’m on to caffeine free tea now. It’s a substitute I will have to live with for awhile. Oh coffee, I love you and I miss you…sigh. I’m not breaking up with you…we’re just on a break. Wait for me.

I’m taking a holiday soon and on this holiday I have decided to unplug completely. What does that mean? Well, I’ve decided I will not take my blackberry with me (A.K.A. my lifeline to the rest of the world) and I will not be checking email. This is a completely crazy and ridiculous concept but I know I can do it. I imagine I will want to rip out of my skin and scale the walls on the first day but after that I will be fine. I can’t tell you how thoroughly excited I am to completely unplug. To not feel responsible to call or write anyone back. To not care about what’s going on with the rest of the world. I’ve also decided I will not wear a watch. I will eat when I’m hungry and sleep when I’m tired. I can’t tell you how pumped I am to slip into this fantasy world. Clappy jumps and Über bingo indeed.

While prepping for this unplug I started to make a playlist full of Jack Johnson, Ben Harper, Ryan Adams, Dave Matthews Band, Paolo Nutini, Ray LaMontagne, Jeff Buckley, Eddie Vedder, Kings of Leon and Damien Rice. All tunes that pick you up and float you away to better places. All tunes that remind you of what and who is important to you. All tunes that will be the soundtrack to the memories I will make.

See you when the music stops.

Burn One Down by Ben Harper: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyk2-ezzE4U

Comments

  1. I think self-imposed restrictions have two benefits - one, the immediate benefit of e.g. not being addicted to caffeine; two, it reminds you that you're in control of yourself and you're the effector of positive change in your own life! Wow, that sounds a little self-help. Anyway, good luck with both endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to give up coffee (and caffeine) as well so know your pain! Maybe we can make a support group for each other!

    Good idea to disconnect for your holiday! I love not wearing a watch, I've actually stopped wearing one when I go out now. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget about the "no pants" rule!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hallelujah Indeed

One Year No Radio