Hallelujah Indeed


I have been so out of touch lately. I apologize. I miss my blogging. As you know, one of my favorite things to do is think. Think, think, think. So, while I have been so busy, I have been stockpiling blog posts. I have so many movie reviews to share with you and new artist to pimp out. I’m excited. In the midst of the chaos which sometimes is known as ‘my life’, I take refuge in movies and music. Music helps me think and movies help me forget. I become equally lost in both worlds, a place where the lines of reality and reverie are lost. But for today, we’re starting with this. Thank God, Heaven’s Above, Hallelujah Indeed.

Did you watch the 2010 Winter Olympics Opening Ceremonies on Friday? Here are my top three moments. K.D. Lang, K.D. Lang and K.D. Lang.

When the camera focused in on the barefoot songstress dressed in white cocooned by the orange glow of simulated candles (plastic flashlights made to look like candles) held by the audience and the first note broke through the silence, I was moved.

My god….that performance was perfection delivered in the form of music. It was intensely haunting, perfectly pitched, gracefully delivered all while being wrapped in soulfulness and truth. It was one of those performances that picks you up and carries you away with each note. K.D. Lang’s voice fused together so perfectly with the instruments, the audience, the ambiance. Everything molded into one. I can only imagine what it must have felt like to be there.

After talking to my Gramma…yes my Gramma, I found out that K.D. Lang has recently released a new CD. It’s titled “Recollection” and yes it’s true, Hallelujah is a feature song on the track list. If you weren’t a fan of K.D. Lang before you are now. If you didn’t know of K.D. Lang before, you do now. She is a talent far too great to be missed.

The original video from the opening ceremonies has been impossible to find on YouTube. Here is a live version she performed back in 2005: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_NpxTWbovE

Watch her get into it. It’s amazing. You literally witness this singer become the music, as if she herself is a note dancing on the sheet of music. It’s beautiful, it’s profound, It’s the reason I love music.

Enjoy!

Comments

  1. I loved this part of the opening ceremonies and I downloaded the whole 3 hours! I kept on thinking about what Leonard Cohen was thinking though as back in July he asked people to stop singing his song. I am sure KD got his approval ?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly think it was the best version ever. I'm a huge fan of the original by Leonard and Jeff Buckley's version, but this one blew me away. I was absolutely amazed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Admit it, I saw some tears. It moved you. Wait, that was me in a mirror.

    Check out Rufus Wainwright's version, a bit fast but his voice fits the song.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One Year No Radio

Unplug