Music Pimping - Paolo Nutini


Love this guy. First of all he’s Scottish. I don’t even have to go any farther. You love him already, don’t you? Who doesn’t love a Scottish guy? Run into a Scot and you’ll be sure to down a few pints, enjoy a few laughs, hear some great stories, listen to a few tunes and maybe, just maybe find yourself in the middle of a brawl. Sounds like fun, eh? Ah yes, for me it sounds like home. Other great things about Scotland? Scotch, men in kilts, Gerard Butler, St. Andrews Golf Course, Haggis, Ewan McGregor, wicked cool accents, bagpipes and the one you must never leave out...Braveheart. Now you can add Paolo Nutini to the list of all the great things about Scotland.

I know what you’re thinking. Shouldn't his name be Angus or Dougal because Paolo Nutini doesn’t sound like a very Scottish name. It’s the crazy phenomenon which occurs when you see a person from one ethnic background then hear them speak in an accent which doesn’t match their looks at all. It blows my mind every single time. I love it. Have you seen the Starburst ‘contradiction’ commercial with the Asian bagpiper sporting a Scottish twang? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHgo4tPIjvk

Well here is the explanation. Paolo Nutini’s father is of Italian descent but his family has been in Scotland for four generations.

The first time I heard Paolo was after a repeat performance on Austin City Limits. I’m sure I heard his tunes before on one of the many shows they appeared on, but it wasn’t until the ACL performance that I took notice. Actually it was my music pimp, a.k.a. my husband, who noticed him and passed on the likeness to me. The first song set to repeat was ‘Rewind.’ Fantastic compilation of music, lyrics and voice to create the “man that’s a wicked song” feeling. Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vylvoD-ZZk

If you are interested in watching the Austin City Limits performance, please click here: http://austincitylimits.org/typography/eps/item/root/3307-paolo-nutini-grupo-fantasma See a live performance by Paolo Nutini has been added to my "Things to do before I die" list and yes, it is a must.

Feeling the need to dip into my library and pull out a few slightly used goodies, I came upon my Paolo tracks and have fallen in love all over again. Right now I’m very much digging White Lies, Loving you and Autumn from his “These Streets” album. These are the songs that make you want to lie in the middle of your floor, headphones on, eyes closed, soaking it all in. Isn’t it remarkable when music can bring you clarity and understanding? When I wikipedia’d him I was surprised to learn he was only 23 years old. It amazes me when such youth has experienced life in such great depths to write so truthfully and honestly delivering a sweet innocence meshed perfectly with a soulfulness. It’s the true expression of an old soul. It’s a beautiful thing.

Here are some links.

White Lies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muJlVnOXjOE

Loving You: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHvkyP_L3CM

Autumn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGBDXR3EPjE

Have a listen. It’ll be a nice surprise.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hallelujah Indeed

One Year No Radio

Unplug