New Music - Lunik


As promised, I have a new discovery to pimp out to you. I have a co-worker from Germany and his buddies from back home often hook him up with wicked new tunes and because he knows how much I love new music he usually shares with me.

Last week he hooked me up with a new album from a band out of Switzerland. Although they are new to me, they are not a new band. They’ve actually been around since 1997. Their name is Lunik and the group consists of three dudes and one chick. The chick is the lead singer. Normally I’m not a huge fan of bands whose lead singer is female. I’m not 100% sure why I’m like this. I guess I prefer the deeper voice of a male singer. The deepness feels like it reaches my core and gives me a full bodied experience. But this lead singer is sublime….seriously sublime.

I hit play on the first song without holding any expectations. I prefer to be surprised. It started soft and slow, with the singers voice sweetly lamenting to lost love in the background, then it hits you. Not so much the power of the music, but the power of the lyrics. I listened to the entire album in sequence and by the end of it I felt strange…in a good way. Strange because the lyrics were so deeply personal I felt as if I’d just finished reading someone’s diary. Most of the lyrics follow a theme of new and lost love, all thoughts or actions which many of us have experience. That’s what makes this album deeply personal, allowing each listener to draw their own personal connections. You’ll actually pause for a moment wondering if the lyrics where somehow written for you, delivering a message to you. When you listen you can see the movie of your life playing in your mind. Don’t you love it when music does that to you? God I do.

This is one of those albums that you’ll listen to without skipping a single track. Frig, I love finding albums like this one, when you are perfectly satisfied with each song and how it was compiled. It just makes sense. It’s definitely a melancholy album so don’t listen to it hoping to feel uplifted in any way. Expect to let go, become lost and do some deep thinking.

The new album is called ‘Small Lights in the Dark,’ which is such a perfect name. Listen to the album. You’ll understand what I mean. Check out their website here: http://lunik.com/

My favorite song on the album is the first track ‘Everything Means Nothing’ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2fpwnUc0cs

Recommended listening strategy for this song: Headphones on, lay on the floor, close your eyes, press play…enjoy your 4 minute and 58 second escape.

Are you listening to any new sounds? Please share them with me. I love finding new-to-me tracks.

Comments

  1. Yup,they r great band,i have all they albums,all jaels bonuses and features...great,awesome stuffs,beautiful vocal...
    You should check if u already didnt,the work of Sepiamusic ...
    They have 2albums 1st is from dec.2003 called '' Prototype'' and a new one called '' Trenches ''....
    heres link to one of they songs from 1st album that i upload all on YT...i hope u'r like it ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB5lWBWCXXc

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hallelujah Indeed

One Year No Radio

Unplug